JERUSALEM (Apr. 20)
The $1,000,000 new building of the Paul Baerwald School of Social Work at the Hebrew University was dedicated here today in a ceremony attended by President Zalman Shazar and 600 other dignitaries.
The building was donated by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, which was represented by Louis Broido of New York, JDC chairman, Herbert Katzki. deputy director of JDC Overseas Operations, and Harold Trobe, director of Malben, the JDC health and welfare program in Israel for aged and handicapped immigrants. Mrs. Henry Doubilet and Mrs. Myron S. Falk, both of New York, represented the family of Paul Baerwald, late chairman of the JDC.
Walworth Barbour, United States Ambassador to Israel, representatives of social agencies, government officials and Hebrew University officials also attended the ceremony. After the dedication, the guests toured the building, making a special visit to the Moses A. Leavitt Memorial Library which was established with funds contributed by friends of the late executive vice-president of the JDC.
Originally located in Paris, the Paul Baerwald School was transferred to the Hebrew University in 1958. The school moved into its new building a few months ago. Since 1958,300 students have been graduated from the school and taken social work positions in Israel. More than 200 students are currently enrolled.